Frequently Asked Questions

Do I really need a CPA?

By using a Certified Public Accountant, or CPA, you are getting the most value for your money. CPAs are the most respected accounting professionals and have completed rigorous requirements to earn their license. Before applying for a CPA license, an individual must first complete extensive educational requirements and then pass a comprehensive 14-hour exam. Once licensed, a CPA must complete 40 hours of professional education every year to maintain their license. These licensing regulations ensure that only the most highly qualified and knowledgeable individuals are allowed to call themselves CPAs. Remember: Not all accountants are CPAs. For more information, visit

What should I look for when hiring an accountant?

Make sure the provider you hire offers all of the services you need. You will waste time, and often money, by using more than one person for the services you need (i.e., using a bookkeeper and a tax accountant). Find out the provider's education and credentials. How much education did they complete? Are they certified and by whom? Compare certifications among provider candidates. For example, a "Certified Bookkeeper" is far less qualified than a "Certified Public Accountant (CPA)."  Ask who in the company will be handling your services and what are their qualifications. Many companies offer tax preparation and accounting services which may be supervised by a CPA or other professional, but services are actually performed by less qualified staff.

What are your small business accounting fees?

My small business accounting fees are $80 per hour Click here to learn more.

What accounting software do you use?


What are your tax preparation fees?

Please click HERE for my flat rate tax preparation fees.

Where is your office located?

I work out of my home office in Holly Springs, NC. I can meet with clients there by appointment, or at other locations if it's more convenient for the client. (Please note that my ability to travel for appointments is very limited during tax season.) I am also open to conducting meetings over the phone.

What are your hours?

My normal hours are 9am - 4pm, Monday through Friday, with 2 days dedicated to client appointments each week (the days will vary week-to-week). Please contact me for an appointment. I will try to accomodate other times if necessary. During tax season, evening and weekend appointments are available.

I am unable to meet with you in person, can we still work together?

Absolutely! My website allows for secure file uploads and I'm very comfortable with phone and email communication. With today's technology, meeting in person is not a necessity.

I live outside the Raleigh area; do you work with long-distance clients?

Yes! With today's technology, there really is no such thing as a long-distance client. My website allows for secure file uploads and I'm very comfortable with phone and email communication. Interesting fact: After graduating college, I worked in a large global corporation and never met 95% of my co-workers!

How long will it take to have my tax returns prepared and filed?

The time required to prepare and file your tax return will depend upon the complexity of the return and also the completeness of the documentation you provide. I work on a first come, first serve basis and try to maintain a 2 week turn-around time, but that is not guaranteed. Please understand that I do not have staff and perform 100% of the work on EVERY client return myself. I am commited to providing the highest level of professional service to all of my clients. When you contact me, I will be able to provide an estimated completion date based on my schedule at that time. (Requests for expedited returns need to be submitted at least 2 weeks prior to the desired completion date. Additional fees may apply.)

Do you guarantee income tax refunds?

NO and you should avoid anyone who does as there is no legal way to offer this "guarantee." Your tax refund is a function of how much tax you paid during the year and how much tax you actually owe. If you are receiving a large tax refund every year, you are allowing the government to use your money for free. Wouldn't you rather have had that money to use all through the year? I can help you adjust your tax withholdings so that you are only paying what you owe.

Can my tax returns be e-filed?

Yes and there is no additional charge for e-filing.

Do you charge for filing extensions?

No. Please note: For Individual Returns Only - If you contact me within 2 weeks of the individual filing deadline, your return will be automatically extended. If my schedule allows, you will have the option of paying a late submission fee to have your return completed by the filing deadline. Corporate Returns will be automatically extended if information is not submitted at least 2 weeks prior to the filing deadline.

Can you help me sign up for my health care insurance?

No. While the new healthcare insurance laws may have tax impacts, accountants are not qualified to help you make those decisions. After you have looked at your options, you may contact me with any tax-specific questions.

Deborah Fleischman, CPA PLLC   •   Holly Springs, NC   •   (919) 434-5409   •

Website designed and maintained by Get Visual Business Solutions, Holly Springs NC  •